The Software Maintainer's Pledge
"All entities move and nothing remains still." – Heraclites, quoted by Plato
I won't break your user experience.
- I won't remove features.
- I won't remove features by pretending to "upgrade" them.
- I won't break anything that lives in your muscle memory.
- I won't force you to update your configuration.
I won't break your user experience, even in a nice way.
- I will let the UI tell you what changed at the right time.
- I will let the UI ask you whether you accept new defaults.
- I will give you simple tools to update your configuration.
- I won't lecture you on why the new experience is better.
- I won't force you to read stuff you don't want to read.
If I break your user experience, I won't give lame excuses.
- I won't use semantic versioning as an excuse.
- I won't use software correctness as an excuse.
- I won't lecture users about why they are wrong.
So, who's in?
Oh, and this is both Valentine's day and "I love Free Software" day.
To comment this blog post, send an email to ~bzg/public-inbox.